Local Closures

Which businesses can stay open?

Here is the county’s fairly exhaustive list.


We are attempting to maintain a list of restaurants doing delivery, curbside pickup or something else new, due to the pandemic. Find it here.

School Closures:

All Humboldt County school campuses are currently closed. The Humboldt County Office of Education is keeping a list of them, including provisional reopening dates. Find it at this link.

Redwood National and State Parks (RNSP), in collaboration with a state parks order issued on March 28, 2020, is announcing additional modifications to operations to support federal, state and local efforts to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners is our number one priority. The National Park Service (NPS) and California State Parks (CDPR) are working with federal, state, and local authorities to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic.

Effective immediately, all Redwood National and State Parks parking areas are closed to vehicles.

Did COVID change your hours of operation? Let our readers know.

COVID-19 and sheltering in place have changed everything for local businesses and we've all got to adapt. If you've changed hours, switched to curbside pick-up or no-contact delivery, you can let North Coast Journal readers know by adding or updating your free online listing at www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/Locations/Edit.

Once approved, it'll go live on our site. And since things are shifting all the time, you'll be able to go back in and update your customers on when you're open and how they can order and pick up from you.

If you need help or are looking for a bigger signal boost, contact our Sales Manager Kyle Windham at kyle@northcoastjournal.com.

Check out Restaurant info below:

As of March 19, 2020, at 5 p.m., the Humboldt County Courthouse will be closed to the public. The courthouse will remain closed until further notice. County departments are still offering modified services. Please view the list below to learn how to access county services.


Status: Closed to the public, employees still providing modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-476-2452

  • Email: ctyauditor@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

Regarding documents submitted to the A-C office: All submittals to the A-C office need to be in electronic format. We will not be accepting paper submittals.

Regarding tasks performed by A-C office: During this state of emergency, the only tasks deemed essential for the A-C office are 1) issuing payments to vendors and 2) issuing payroll payments to employees. All other tasks are deemed non-essential and will only be performed if time and opportunity allow.

More Information: https://humboldtgov.org/236/Auditor-Controller


Status: Open to the public

How to contact:

  • Phone: (707) 839-5401

  • E-mail: aviation@co.humboldt.ca.us

Hours: M-F, 8AM-5PM

Phone: (707) 496-0102

Hours: 4AM-Midnight, 7 Days a Week

Modified Services:

No services have been modified at this time. Additional cleaning measures have been implemented in the Terminal and in Office Areas. Temporary public hand-washing stations have been installed at the two primary Terminal Entrances at ACV.

Airline Schedule:

United Airlines has reduced their schedule at ACV starting on 04.01.2020. The daily flight schedule will be reduced to 2 SFO arrivals/departures, and 1 LAX arrival/departure. If your flights or schedules have been impacted, please contact United Airlines through www.united.com or by phone at (800) 864-8331.


Status: Closed to the Public but available by phone or email.

How to contact:

  • Phone: (707) 476-2390

Modified Services: Supervisors may be conducting in-person meetings over the phone.

More Information: Contact information for the Supervisors is available here https://humboldtgov.org/167/Board-of-Supervisors


Status: Closed to the public, employees still providing modified services. *Lobby is open only for child support payments via kiosk.*

How to contact:

  • Phone: 866-901-3212

  • Email: dcss@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

Employees are available by phone, webchat on our website, and e-mail. Customers may also log in to their on-line accounts for information and assistance. Our lobby will have a phone for parents to connect via phone with a staff member.

More Information: https://humboldtgov.org/601/Child-Support-Services


Status: Some services open to the public, including Purchasing, ADA Team, Management & Budget, and Information Technology. Economic Development is closed to the public for in-person visits.

How to contact: Management & Budget, Purchasing, ADA

  • Phone: 707-445-7266

  • Email: cao@co.humboldt.ca.us

  • Economic Development

  • Phone: 707-445-7745

Modified Services:

Employees are also available by phone, web meetings and e-mail.

More Information:




Status: Closed to the public, employees still providing modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7411

  • Email: districtattorney@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

The District Attorney’s Office is available for questions by phone or email. Advocates from Victim Witness are responding to requests for assistance.

Humboldt County Superior Court is closed this week through Thursday and on Friday, March 20th will call only limited cases. All witnesses subpoenaed for this week should not appear for court.

The District Attorney will continue to file cases for individuals in custody and people out of custody who represent a threat to public safety. The District Attorney’s Office will continue to review all reports from law enforcement but will delay filing cases to allow the court system to address the most time-sensitive cases. Counties throughout the state are taking this action to deal with court closures and to reduce the number of victims, witnesses and other people appearing at the courthouse each day.

More Information:



Status: Closed to the public, employees still providing modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7481

  • Email: humboldt_elections@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

Conducting business over the phone, rather than in person, is preferred.

More information:



Status: DHHS Services to the Public as of 3-20-20 are listed below per each division. Note that these are subject to change.

How to contact: The main number 268-DHHS open for business at this time (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) See below for branch specific information. All published crisis lines and hotlines remain open. Social distancing maintained with the public and co-workers at all locations. Many staff are working remotely. General message is DHHS is providing its essential services. People should stay home if they can, follow the shelter-in-place order, and only leave home if they have to.

Phone: 707-268-3447

More information: https://humboldtgov.org/DHHS


For information about COVID-19, please phone 707-441-5000 or email COVIDInfo@co.humboldt.ca.us

Humboldt Health Alert 24 hours a day.


Status: Some Public Health offices are open to the public. The clinic is open. Some programs are serving the community via phone. Non-essential services such as community trainings are on hold.

How to contact:

  • WIC: 707-445-6255

  • Clinic: 707-268-2108

  • Environmental Health: 707-445-6215

  • PH Lab: 268-2179

  • Any other Public Health program: you can check this page for contact information: https://humboldtgov.org/330/Public-Health

  • or call 445-6200 if it’s NOT COVID-19 related.

  • for COVID-19 related issues see number above.

Modified Services: PH is serving community members including patients by phone whenever possible. Community members are encouraged to call before making a visit to a Public Health office.

  • WIC: offices are closed to the public; services are being provided by phone.

  • Environmental Health: the office at 100 H St. remains open to provide essential services.

  • PH Nursing: Supporting clients with telephonic case management when possible.

  • Syringe Services Program: limited to the Community Wellness Center, 908 7th Street, Eureka, CA

  • Vital Statistics: The office is open; there is a possibility of delay in issuing birth/death certificates.


Status: Providing crisis services and modified on-going services. Sempervirens open. Crisis Stabilization Unit open. Same day Services is open. The HOPE Center is closed. TAY Drop In is closed.

How to contact:

  • Phone encouraged wherever possible.

  • Crisis services: 707-445-7715 24 hours a day, 888-849-5728

  • Regular Access and Adult MH Reception: 707-268-2900

Modified Services: For Adult and Children’s services, providing essential services while triaging to identify potentially sick patients. Maintaining 6-foot distance. Initial requests to access non-crisis services being triaged, and clients served by telephone when possible. Group therapy canceled at this time. 720 Wood Street offices open; in-person visitors are screened, and six-foot distancing is maintained. Field work and in-person visits limited, distance maintained.

BENEFITS (CalWORKs, CalFresh, Medi-Cal and General Relief):

Status: Providing essential services, with modifications.

How to contact:

  • Local Call Center 877-410-8809 Highly encouraged.

  • Almost all business can be completed by phone.

  • Community partner inquiries also be referred to 476-4760 or calfreshoutreach@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services: Scheduled interviews and new interviews being done by telephone. State has changed requirements so renewals/recertifications are on hold (people retain benefits).

Accepting and processing new applications; online and phone applications encouraged. (GetCalfresh.org, C4Yourself.com, 877-410-8809)

  • 929 Koster Street campus, limiting access for the public to one lobby. Limiting customers to five at a time for social distancing.

  • Hoopa office closed

  • Garberville office reduced hours from 9:30-2, closed 12-1

  • 605 K Street office-closed to the public, all business by phone


Status: OPEN as an essential Service

How to contact:

  • APS 707-476-2100 (toll free 866-527-8614)

  • IHSS 476-2100

Modified Services: Community is strongly encouraged to use phone. 808 E St. remains open; limited access to lobby to ensure 6-foot distancing maintained


Status: Providing essential Services

How to contact:

  • Phone: Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Hotline 707-445-6180 Available 24 hours/7 days a week

  • Administrative Office line: 707-388-6600

  • Email: cws-admin@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services: Essential services are still being provided. The child abuse and neglect reporting hotline is available 24/7. Efforts being made to conduct business over video/phone conferencing when possible. The Multi-Family Visitation program is temporarily suspended.


Status: Limited services

How to contact: 707-441-5010

Modified Services: Staff are practicing safe protocols as HOME seeks to provide more focused services. Limiting outreach to new clients and focusing on serving existing clients. Making sure people have enough food and medications and any other needed items during this time. Aiming for less general face to face contact and to only provide needed resources to limit unnecessary exposures.


Status: Open for essential services.

How to contact: 707-445-7343

Modified Services: Use of telephone is highly encouraged. In person visitors are being screened.


Status: Open for essential services.

How to contact: 707-445-7611

Modified Services: Use of telephone is highly encouraged. In person visitors are being screened.



Closed to the public, employees still providing modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-476-2349

  • Email:

    • Personnel : personnel@co.humboldt.ca.us

    • Payroll: ctypayroll@co.humboldt.ca.us

    • Risk Management: riskmgmt@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

Conducting business over the phone, rather than in person, is encouraged.

All benefits appointments are being conducted by phone and electronically forwarding paperwork that would require signatures. County departments are requested to forward paperwork electronically.

More Information:



Status: Closed to the public through March (All Locations)

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-269-1918

Modified Services:

Electronic e-books, audiobooks, magazines, and research databases remain accessible at: https://humboldtgov.org/249/Articles-Databases

More Information:



Status: Closed to the public, employees still performing modified services. Redway Office fully closed

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7541 or 707-445-7245

  • Email: planningbuilding@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

  • Essential services and other program services will still be provided through alternate delivery methods such as telephone, email, or direct computer operations via applications such as Accela, GIS, or Next Request. In person meetings and over the counter services at both public facing locations, are suspended until further notice.

  • To facilitate ongoing projects, building inspections will still be scheduled and conducted. Inspections may be requested by calling inspection recording line at 707-445-7244.

  • Other services will remain available electronically via email at planningbuilding@co.humboldt.ca.us (be sure to include the topic of your email in the subject line) or by contacting your assigned Planner by telephone or email. Services will also be available via telephone at 707-445-7541 or 707-445-7245.

  • If you have an active permit application, you may upload information directly to the permit record by going online to: https://aca.accela.com/humboldt/Default.aspx and follow the on-screen instructions to create an account. Contact the Planning and Building Department at 707-445-7245 to have our permit staff link your account to your project(s).

  • NOTE: Please send an email to the address above to alert our office that document(s) have been uploaded to your record.

  • Requests for public records may be made through Next Request at https://humboldtgov.nextrequest.com

  • All payments must be made over the phone via credit card.

More Information:



Status: Open to the public with modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7401

Modified Services:

  • Face to face reporting requirements for persons under probation supervision have been modified to telephone reporting. Persons being newly placed on probation or released from prison will still be expected to report directly. Cases where a public safety concern is noted will continue to have face to face contacts as deemed appropriate.

  • Monthly placement visits for youth in short term residential therapeutic programs continues per state mandates, as do monthly face to face contacts with youth and family determined to be at imminent risk of removal.

  • Community Service Work has suspended opening new cases until court resumes normal operations.

  • Court investigations continue with telephone interviews being substituted where possible. Jail interviews are being conducted in person but in public visiting areas where there is a barrier between the officer and the inmate.

  • Technical violations for persons on probation are suspended until court resumes normal function unless there is a perceived risk to public safety. New law violations and absconding is still being filed on.

  • Drug Court graduation is suspended.

  • Juvenile hall screening similar to the jail. Visitors will undergo the same screening process before being allowed to see their family members.

  • Enrichment programs and arts provided by outside persons are temporarily suspended in the juvenile hall.

  • Drug testing will be reduced to cases with public safety concerns.

  • Staff who chair or facilitate meetings will review the agenda for said meetings and determine whether the meeting should be cancelled, held through video or telephone, or proceed as scheduled. The decision should be made in the context of its relation to the Department mission and community safety.


Status: Closed

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7634

More Information:



Status:Closed to the public, employees still performing modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7652

Modified Services:

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak and until further notice the Humboldt County Department of Public Works offices, located at various locations, will limit access to their facilities to staff members only. The Department’s operations will still continue, and we hope to return to normal procedures as soon as possible.

Road Maintenance, 1106 Second Street, Eureka

The Dispatcher will be available to take requests for service by phone, Monday-Thursday, 6:30am -5:00pm., (707) 445-7421.

Concerns or requests can also be submitted on the Humboldt County Website.

Engineering Projects, 1106 Second Street, Eureka

Plans and Specifications for Engineering projects are available on the County’s Webpage

Please e-mail psennott@co.humboldt.ca.us or call (707) 445-7652 to have your company’s name on the Planholders’ list.

Bid Opening will still be held at the Humboldt County Courthouse, however the location within the Courthouse may be relocated to a room large enough to achieve distancing.

Please call (707) 445-7377 if you have questions.

Business Office, 1106 Second Street, Eureka

County Park Passes

Passes will only be available through US Mail. Please call (707) 445-7651, then press 9, for directions.

Keys to River Access

Please call (707) 445-7491 to make arrangements.

Land Use Division, 3015 H Street, Eureka

Public Works inspections may be requested by calling (707) 445-7205 or by emailing PublicWorksPermits@co.humboldt.ca.us

Encroachment Permit, Transportation Permit, Special Event Permit, Improvement Plans, Drainage Studies, etc. may be emailed to PublicWorksPermits@co.humboldt.ca.us

Before submitting documents, please contact the Department at (707) 445-7205 to determine the best way to submit your documents. Documents may be submitted via U.S. Mail to 1106 Second Street, Eureka, CA, 95501; or by email.

Subdivision Maps, Record of Surveys, Boundary Corrections, and Corner Records may be emailed to RGarton@co.humboldt.ca.us.

Access to the County Surveyor’s library is available by appointment only by calling (707) 445-7205. Many survey documents may be found online at www.hummaps.com.

Motor Pool, Second and J Streets, Eureka

County employees will have access to vehicles. Employees will be asked to fill out a Health Questionnaire before being issued a vehicle. Keys and vehicles will be sanitized between uses.

Reservations procedures will still be in place. (707) 445-7374.

Natural Resource Planning, 1105 6th Street, Eureka

Please use e-mail or phone.

Website: Natural Resource Planning

County Parks

Freshwater Park is closed.

All other parks are open for day-use.

All campgrounds are closed. (Big Lagoon, Clam Beach, Samoa, Van Duzen, A.W. Way)

Rules at specific parks may change at any time, look for signs and notices.


Status: Closed to the public, employees still performing modified services

How to contact:

  • County Clerk / Recorder (707) 445-7593

  • Vital Records (707) 445-7382

Modified Services:

There will be a drop box on the 5th Floor of the Courthouse for recordable documents and requests for birth/death/marriage certificates. Documents will continue to be processed and mailed back to the requester. We are not scheduling weddings at this time. Limited access will be permitted for document searches. Please call to schedule a time.

More Information:



Status: Public lobby closed to the public, employees still providing modified services

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7251

  • Email: hso@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:

  • Livescan and CCW Permitting services are temporarily suspended until further notice.

  • Handling business over the phone, rather than in person is encouraged.

  • The public is encouraged to utilize the Online Crime Reporting Tool to help cut down on exposure. Read more about that tool and make a report here: https://humboldtgov.org/1380/Online-Reporting

  • Volunteer programs in the Correctional Facility are being temporarily suspended to limit exposure of the inmate population to community members.

  • Non-contact visitation only at the Correctional Facility

  • More Information: https://humboldtgov.org/187/Sheriffs-Office


Status: Closed to the public, employees still providing modified services. Alternative methods of payment encouraged

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-476-2450

  • Email: taxinfo@co.humboldt.ca.us

Modified Services:


  • Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation the Treasurer-Tax Collectors Office is now closed to the public, taxpayers must pay their property taxes by mail, automated phone system (855-335-3132), or online at:

  • https://humboldtgov.org/282/View-or-Pay-Property-Taxes-Online

  • Note: Online payments involve processing by private companies so there is a service fee charged by these outside contractors (not by the County) for credit cards (Fee: 2.38% of payment) & debit cards ($ 4.95 flat fee) … but e-checks are free!

  • The second installment of property taxes is due no later than Friday, April 10, 2020 … mailed payments must be postmarked by this same date!

  • Late property tax payments result in a 10% penalty and a $20.00 cost. Most postal stations in Humboldt County close by 5:00 p.m. so after that envelopes are postmarked the following day.

  • Property taxes are due now! Take a moment today and send in your tax payment. Don’t forget!

  • If you have questions please look at your tax bill - front and back - or check out the website https://humboldtgov.org/260/Treasurer---Tax-Collector because almost all answers can be found in one of these two places. If you don’t find the answer then call us at 707-476-245


Status:Closed to the public, with staff continuing to provide services via phone or online

How to contact:

  • Phone: 707-445-7351

  • Email: yvala@ucanr.edu

Modified Services:

Between now and April 5th, all public meetings and events have been postponed, cancelled, or redirected to an online platform.

More Information: https://humboldtgov.org/614/UC-Cooperative-Extension

The Arcata Farmers’ Market Will be Open

California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and California Department of Public Health (CDPH) have published guidelines this week for the operation of Certified Farmers’ Markets during the COVID-19 outbreak, naming farmers’ markets as essential food service businesses during this time of need. NCGA will continue operations of the Arcata Plaza Farmers’ Market following the strict guidelines established by CDFA and CDPH. As the community responds to the current health crisis, maintaining a locally sourced supply of healthy food is of critical importance.

Across the state farmers’ markets are remaining open. ​ Farmers’ markets are a critical access point for local food and will eliminate any non-essential services and activities. NCGA encourages the community to use the farmers’ market as a resource by continuing to access local, nutritious food at the market.

NCGA encourages customers to carefully follow the protocols outlined and to stay home if you exhibit any sign of illness OR are over the age 65 and have additional health concerns. Please send a friend to the market on your behalf.

The NCGA will not close the farmers’ market unless mandated by local government authorities to do so.

Following the CDPH and CDFA guidelines released, the market staff and each market vendor are committed to taking the additional steps necessary to do our part to slow the spread of CoronaVirus and Covid-19.

Farmers’ markets provide an access point for safe and local foods that are likely to be significantly less handled than those available at grocery stores. Many items on vendors’ tables this weekend are great for long term storage (dry beans, onions, cabbage, mushrooms, frozen meat… even just picked kale and spinach will hold up for multiple weeks) and many can be frozen or canned for future use. Supporting local farmers’ market vendors during this time of uncertainty also contributes a positive boost to the local economy. CalFresh/EBT will continue to be accepted and Market Match is available.

For the full set of guidelines for “Retail, Food Beverage and Related Services” from CDPH click HERE.

For more information please contact North Coast Growers’ Association: info@northcoastgrowersassociation.org​ or (707) 441-9999

Information provided by Lost Coast Outpost: https://lostcoastoutpost.com/Humboldt Office of Education: https://hcoe.org/